"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Unfinished 2.0

Like most bibliophiles (or so I assume), I have a very long list of books that are waiting to be read.  Some books, I can dive right in and devour them; others, I find are a little tougher.  And, if we're being honest, I even have some that I let slip through my fingers because I simply can't find it in my heart to complete them.  Here are just a few of those:

-

HarperCollins
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Honestly, I've always enjoyed C.S. Lewis.  He was a gifted writer and orator, and he produced phenomenal works of literature.  His writing has always seemed wonderful, beautiful and uncannily inspiring.  Even Mere Christianity has that quality, a beautiful simplicity in which one man attempts not to justify or exonerate his faith but to explain it - to show readers and listeners the most important aspects of his religion.

I have honestly tried to read Mere Christianity.  I have succeeded, in some measure, in completing a handful of the essays contained within it; however, I haven't yet managed to complete the entire compilation.  I love the language of Lewis's work, but I find it relatively dense, manifesting in a theological examination of Christianity that simply doesn't hold my attention for long periods of time.

One day I may finish reading it.  Until then, I intend only to read snippets and relish the best parts I find.

-

1new-fp
Jill Sanders
Finding Pride by Jill Sanders

For me, Finding Pride was unreadable.  I mean, if I'd stayed and focused and worked hard to slog through the remainder of the novel, I probably could have done it.  I just didn't want to for the simple fact that I really, really disliked it.

I couldn't appreciate any of the setting descriptions, I didn't care for the characters, and I found the story a bit trite.  The novel seemed to lack something essential, a special quality that could keep me committed.  It lacked vibrancy, it lacked life.  It was like all the characters were carved from stone, emotionless and cold, and I felt absolutely nothing for them.

Finding Pride didn't appeal to me in the least.  Granted, I read it as an e-book, which could make a difference (or explain the hurried errors that seemed to populate the pages); however, I'm not counting on liking it in any format in which it exists.  I doubt I will ever finish it, not if I have anything to say about it.

-

The Billionaire Wins the Game: Billionaire Bachelors - Book One
Lulu Press
The Billionaire Wins the Game by Melody Anne

Let me say, upfront, that I have a bad habit of randomly picking out free e-books on my tablet.  I make some of the worst decisions when it comes to reading material if I'm using an electronic device.  I don't know why, I simply do - and The Billionaire Wins the Game is a stellar example of this.

Not only do the characters feel like caricatures, wavering on a pendulum of extreme emotions, they feel rigid, mechanical.  More to the point, they just feel wrong.  I could never keep track of how they felt, how they were going to feel, and how those emotions would manifest and, before I even reached the middle of the story, I was battling whiplash.

But that isn't even the worst part.  No, I hated the entire interaction between the central protagonists:  the shotgun wedding that occurs as if it's okay to coerce another person into a marriage with veiled threats and poisonous charm, as if its okay to blackmail a woman over the livelihood and custody of her unborn child.

I'll say this now:  It is not okay.  Ever.

And I hated that I was suckered into reading a huge chunk of the novel before I finally gave up, threw it aside (figuratively speaking), and started on something more substantial.  Although I finished a portion of the book (and, yes, I even read the last five pages, because I can't leave any novel without some kind of closure), I will never pick it up again.  Honestly, it wasn't even worth the time I spent to open to the first page.

No comments:

Post a Comment