"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe

The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe
Little, Brown and Company
The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe
Mary Simses
2013

The Summary
"Ellen Branford is going to fulfill her grandmother's dying wish--to find the hometown boy she once loved and give him her last letter.  Three months before Ellen's wedding to Hayden Croft, her Kennedy-esque fiance, she leave Manhattan for Beacon, Maine.  A high-powered attorney used to success and the fast pace of city living, Ellen is determined to carry out her grandmother dying request in one day.  But what should be an overnight trip is quickly complicated when Ellen falls into Beacon's chilly bay and finds herself saved by a man named Roy, a carpenter in town.

"The rescue transforms Ellen into something of a local celebrity, which may or may not help her unravel the past her grandmother labored to keep hidden.  As Ellen learns about her grandmother and herself, it becomes clear that a twenty-four-hour visit to Beacon may not be enough.  And when Roy reveals himself to be the one person in town who can bring closure to her quest, Ellen must make the most difficult decision of her life--one that will call into question the future waiting for her at home.

"A delicious debut novel about love, purpose, and the seductive promise of a simpler life, The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe will take readers on a rich journey through the main streets and back roads of Maine."

The Good
I'll be honest, I fell in love with the cover of The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe.  Although the title caught my eye (I love anything to do with baking, especially if it involves blueberries.  My stomach sometimes dictates my choices, I know), I primarily picked it up for the cover.  It promises something sticky-sweet, possibly darling, and most likely romantic--and, of course, I couldn't resist.

At first, I wasn't quite taken with the story.  I felt a little distant from the narrative, like I couldn't quite sink into the story.  But, once I did, I was infatuated by Ellen's exploration of her grandmother's hometown and her personal journey to discover herself.  It's a sweet, heart-warming story about finding your own place and knowing your own heart.

Although I'm not a fan of romantic conflict (i.e. "love triangles"), I found I was intrigued by the characters and the unexpected paths Ellen takes.  I was curious to see where her choices--and her heart--would lead her.  Would she marry her knight-in-shining-armor, or would she fall in love with the Maine coast and her unexpected savior?  She faced many of the same romantic troubles her grandmother did, and I was intrigued to see how their lives followed a familiar path.

Overall, I enjoyed it.  It's a nicely written romantic story that's sure to pluck on your heartstrings, if it doesn't appeal to your stomach.  I craved blueberry muffins after I finished reading it.

The Bad
Love triangles.

I didn't like the uncertainty, the trite "am-I-still-in-love-with-him" debates that continued to run through the course of Ellen's narrative.  As a narrator, I liked Ellen for the internal turmoil that sometimes left her reeling and struggling to understand her feelings; however, I really didn't like the fact that she had to choose between two men.  She had to choose between a way of life she vehemently defended, and a new way of life with a new object of affection.

I've never liked love triangles, and I don't think The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe made me anymore charitable toward them.

The Ugly
Losing one's grandmother is a terribly difficult thing; in fact, it's heart-breaking.  For Ellen, it's an emotional dagger to the chest that's made all the more painful by her grandmother's hidden past and her own sudden change of heart.

Honestly, I would not want to be in her shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment