"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Tokyo Ghoul (Volume 1)

Viz Media
Tokyo Ghoul (Volume 1)
Sui Ishida
2012

The Summary
"Ghouls live among us, the same as normal people in every way--except their craving for human flesh.

"Shy Ken Kaneki is thrilled to go on a date with the beautiful Rize, but it turns out that she's only interested in his body--in eating it, that is.  When a morally dubious rescue transforms him into the first half-human, half-Ghoul hybrid, Ken must survive Ghoul turf wars, learn more about Ghoul society and master his new powers."

The Good
I was fascinated by the plot and premise of Tokyo Ghoul.  It's terribly grim and horribly macabre, but I found myself intrigued despite the gore.  It hearkens back to the vampire mythos, to the monstrous creatures hiding in plain sight, which I ultimately liked.  Likewise, I was intrigued by Ken Kaneki's altered state as a half-human, half-Ghoul hybrid.  There's a complexity to his condition that I think Sui Ishida manages to convey very well.

You see, Ken is a gentle kid, a soft-hearted boy who believes he's stumbled across the perfect girl, but, after a terrible incident leaves him with a ghoulish surprise, he's caught in a world that's both violent and terrifying.  He's stuck between worlds, fighting to retain his humanity and struggling to rein in his darker Ghoul urges.

I was curious to see how Ken would handle his new condition.  He's the fulcrum part between two very different worlds and he's trying to adapt and understand the Ghouls--trying to survive with his grisly new craving for human flesh--while holding on to his human counterpart.  It's a very delicate balancing act he's carrying out, which gives Tokyo Ghoul a pulse-pounding quality I didn't expect.

The Bad
I've decided that Tokyo Ghoul just really isn't my cup of tea.  It's intriguing, which was able to get me in the door, but I don't think I could stay with the series.  It's very serious, very intense, very dramatic with in-your-face violence and graphic depictions of what is essentially cannibalism--and I just didn't get any of the humor (what little there is) in the story.

It's not a bad series, but it just isn't for me.

The Ugly
Tokyo Ghoul is extremely gory.

Usually, I can handle gore.  I've read Rat Queens, Lady Killer, and Batwoman, so I can deal with graphic violence, blood, explicit language, and general nastiness.  But Tokyo Ghoul was something special:  it actually made me feel very queasy.  I'm thinking it was the idea of cannibalism that made it so disturbing, or maybe it was just the excessive gore and blood-dripping flesh that did it.  Either way, I spent most of my time feeling very, very uncomfortable.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for readers who have a weak stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment