"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Batman: Haunted Knight

7621263
DC
Batman:  Haunted Knight
Jeph Loeb
Tim Sale
1996

The Summary
"This graphic novel by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale-the creative team behind the classic Batman:  The Long Halloween--includes three dark tales of horror and intrigue featuring Batman facing off against his most demented and wicked foes. Taking place on the most evil of holidays, Halloween, the Dark Knight Detective confronts his deepest fears as he tries to stop the madness and horror created by Scarecrow, the Mad Hatter, the Penguin, Poison Ivy and the Joker.

"Collects Batman:  Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special #1, Batman:  Madness--A Legend of the Dark Knight Halloween Special, and Batman:  Ghosts--A Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special."


The Good
Haunted Knight isn't bad; in fact, it fills in some narrative gaps for me.  It helps me understand the history of the Wayne Foundation and Bruce Wayne's relationship with Lucius Foxx; it introduces me to the Mad Hatter and Barbara Gordon as a young girl; it also introduces me to a Batman with which I'm not as familiar--a Batman who follows his heart, who shows an unexpectedly human fallibility.

I was particularly intrigued by the first story, "Fears."  It features Scarecrow (an apt choice, I think) running amok on Halloween, causing general disarray and chaos, prowling upon Gotham's deepest fears of the dark; however, it also focuses on Batman--or, more accurately, Bruce Wayne--and his romantic entanglement with Jillian.

I know Batman has many different romantic relationships, but his history with Jillian is both unexpected and memorable if only for what arises from the wreckage.  I'll probably spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read it, but, if you're at all familiar with the Batman canon, it's not exactly surprising if I say it falls apart.

But that's not the point.

My point is this:  Bruce Wayne makes the conscious decision to be Batman.

Throughout the story, he's viewing his work as Batman as a necessity, he has to do it because there's no other choice.  He's haggard and tired and exhausted; he's considering, if only for a moment, to hang up his cape.  And yet Jillian makes him realize something:  he wants to be Batman.  It's not a responsibility that's thrust upon him, rather it's a choice--his choice.
"I learned something over this Halloween weekend.  I thought that I didn't have a choice about being the Batman.  That Gotham City chose me to protect her.  That is wrong.  Ever since the night my parents were taken from me, I made the choice.  It means that some of my heart's desires may go unfulfilled...
"But many more are satisfied."

It was an interesting detour into the life of Batman and, personally, I'm glad I read it.

The Bad
I'll be honest, Haunted Knight is just not as a good as The Long Halloween.

Oddly enough, I found Haunted Knight to be more colorful than I expected.  It's still dark, shadowy and it's still an accurate representation of the grim, gritty underworld of Gotham, but it's unexpectedly brighter than either Long Halloween or Dark Victory.  It's not quite what I anticipated.

Plus, Bruce Wayne is a prominent figure in each of these stories, which I found surprising.  I mean, I know that Bruce Wayne is actually Batman--it's not like he can't be involved at some point--but I was surprised by the larger role Bruce Wayne in Haunted Knight.  Most Batman comics focus on Batman; heck, even Bruce focuses most of his energy on being Batman instead of the wealthy, worldly Mr. Wayne.

However, Haunted Knight really peers beneath the cowl, so to speak.  It's not that you're getting to see Bruce Wayne and how he becomes Batman; rather, it's more how Bruce Wayne is trying to reconcile his lives as Batman and Bruce.  It's less about Batman and his endeavors, and more about how being Batman has made an impact on Bruce's life.  It's a bit odd, because, honestly, I expect a Batman story, not a Bruce Wayne story.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.  I think it's more of a personal preference for me.

The Ugly
Gotham is a bloody place.

No comments:

Post a Comment