"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Friday, August 4, 2017

Ruroni Kenshin (Volume 3)

294959
Viz Media
Rurouni Kenshin (Volume 3)
Nobuhiro Watsuki
2004

The Summary
"'Spider's Web'...like ordinary opium, but better processed.  Half the cost to produce, but twice the profits!  To the people of Aizu, Takani Megumi was a daughter in a famous family of doctors, in which everyone--women and children alike--studied medicine.  But to grasping industrialist Takeda Kanryu, she is the hen who lays the golden egg--the only one who knows the Spider's Web formula!  To stay with Kanryu is to send even more to their deaths.  But to stay with Kenshin and the others is to invite theirs..."

The Good
Although I'm not as big a fan of the third volume as I am the second one, I was excited to meet the Oniwabanshu again.  There's something about the Oniwabanshu--about how they're just a small pocket of resistance against the tide of Meiji progress--that I like.

The Bad
I'm not sure why, but I just didn't like this volume as much as I did the previous one.  I like the Oniwabanshu and, personally, I love Aoshi.  He's one of my favorite characters, because he's not actually that bad of a guy, he's more of a complicated anti-hero; however, I don't like the Takani Megumi story arc.

For some reason, it's just not that appealing to me.

The Ugly
As always, blood.  Lots and lots of blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment