"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Lorax

7784
Random House
The Lorax
Dr. Seuss
1971

The Summary
"In this haunting fable about the dangers of destroying our forests and woodlands, the long-suffering Lorax struggles to save all the Truffula Trees from the wicked Once-ler's axe. "

The Good
I've never read The Lorax.

There.  I've said it:  I've never read The Lorax.

Somehow, in the shuffle of children's books I've read throughout my lifetime, I never had the chance to read Dr. Seuss' Lorax.  It's kind of incredible, as I'm pretty positive I've read everything else he's ever written.

Anyway, I read The Lorax as part of a book bingo challenge at my library and, honestly, I wasn't disappointed.  It was basically what I expected.  Rhymes, bright colors, crazy creatures, unexpected morals.

It's not bad.  I can see why it's a children's classic.

The Bad
The Lorax is not my favorite Dr. Seuss book.  I reserve that strictly for Green Eggs and Ham.

The Ugly
Although The Lorax is a children's book and reads like a children's book, it's also a look at a very mature theme--that is, it shows what happens when people don't care and progress (like greed) is left unchecked by someone who does care.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not."

It's really a pretty jarring book when you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment