"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, September 10, 2015

In Progress: A Game of Thrones

Bantam
I surprised myself today and picked up A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.  Admittedly, I was wondering about the hype surrounding his novels and, moreover, why the television show seemed to have gained such a massive following, seemingly overnight.

And then I read the first chapter.

Now, I understand why his Song of Fire and Ice series is so wildly popular and why he has received so much praise for his work:  A Game of Thrones is freaking fantastic.  No joke, it's absolutely amazing (and I've only finished a handful of pages).

Initially, I was dissuaded by the sheer enormity of the book - over 2,000 pages on my little tablet and equally imposing in hardcover form, I must say - and I wasn't impressed by the popularity of his novels.  Many novels have reached similar levels of popularity (like Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, etc.) and have performed poorly in my estimation, despite fanatical appreciation for it.

However, I'm pleased to say that my fears I would be disappointed by A Game of Thrones (or, worse, simply wouldn't like it) are unfounded.  Even after only reading the first handful of pages, I was immediately and completely hooked.  Although I haven't read much, I've realized that Martin has an incredible capacity for creativity and detail, making his writing intricate without being too bulky or unwieldy or dense.

Having only set foot into the world, I can't say much more than I already have.  I suppose I could be jumping the gun a bit by offering praise prematurely, and it's entirely possible I could dislike A Game of Thrones by the end (which has happened in the past); however, I just have a good feeling about Martin's novel.  It's hit the best points I can find in a fantasy novel:  accessible prose, steady development, suspense, detail and intricacy - and, of course, maps.

A fantasy writer can never go wrong with maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment