"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Friday, November 6, 2015

Bonus: The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)

Poppy
The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
Kody Keplinger
2010

The Summary
"Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot.  She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush.  In fact, Bianca hates him.  And when he nicknames her 'Duffy,' she throws her Coke in his face.

"But things aren't so great at home right now.  Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley.  And likes it.  Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

"Until it all goes horribly awry.  It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too.  Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone."

The Good
I enjoyed The Duff.  Enjoyed it enough that I finished it within a couple of days, in fact.  The Duff is not quite a coming-of-age story; rather, it's more of a high school survival story, a novel about self-realization and emotional development that confronts adolescent issues (like relationships, love and sex, and growing up) in a way that feels real, accessible.

I liked that Bianca was unafraid to share her story, and I liked that she was so self-sufficient and strong-willed.  She was a conflicted character - I mean, what teenager isn't suffering from some kind of social or emotional conflict? - but, for the most part, I liked her.  I enjoyed reading her story and I enjoyed how things turned out for Bianca.

She really deserves to be happy.

The Bad
Bianca is a decent narrator.  She's smart and sassy, and she has a sharp tongue that's certain to lash anyone to shreds, but she's also a teenager - and her narrative skills leave something to be desired.  I liked Bianca and I enjoyed her story, but I didn't absolutely love it.

I found her tone often bordered on bitter, and I nearly choked on adolescent angst.  It was a great book and I understood why Bianca often vocalized her negativity in the form of foul language, insults, and sharp retorts, but it sometimes turned me away.

The Ugly
Romance.

And alcoholism.

No comments:

Post a Comment