"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Friday, November 20, 2015

In Progress: A Game of Thrones (Continued)

Bantam
I've managed to make it a third of the way into Martin's novel.  Admittedly, I've been distracted (as I usually am) with other books and losing time with book renewals - which, by the way, I've discovered that A Game of Thrones is still wildly popular and incredibly difficult to find at libraries, being either checked out or added to the missing items list.

I've already reached a tipping point, in which things can go horribly awry.  Eddard has made a not-so-startling discovery, Jon Snow has (more or less) settled into his role at Castle Black as a man of the Night's Watch, and Catelyn is headed home from the capital.  So many bad things have the opportunity to happen right now.  I mean, Benjen Stark hasn't returned, Eddard still hasn't quite figured out what happened to the last King's Hand, and Bran still feels like he's very much in danger for what he witnessed.

And I'm only finished with a third of A Game of Thrones.

Yikes, right?

I'm still intrigued.  Granted, A Game of Thrones is a daunting challenge; however, I'm in love with the flow of the words and the way the story simply feels.  Martin still keeps me captivated with his language and his imagery, drawing me into the drama, investing me into the characters.  I'm quite smitten with Jon Snow:  he's strong and competent, he's protective of his kin (including his new brothers in black) and he's loyal, he's charming in his own way, he's a skilled swordsman, but he's also honorable when the time calls.

He's my favorite character.

Besides, Arya of course.  I mean, who couldn't love Arya?  Sharp-witted, spunky, and tough, she's bound to be a major player in upcoming chapters.  She's just so different from her sister Sansa, who is an impeccable lady.  She borders on immaturity, her understanding of people (and their depravity) is only just beginning, and she lacks any tact when it comes to interacting with royals.  But I think that's what I like about her.

Moreover, she humiliates Joffrey.  I may not like the consequences - and I weep for Sansa, for the unfairness she must endure - and I'm quite certain I loathe Cersei for what she and most of her family have wrought; however, as events unfolded as they did, I'm not sorry that Arya struck Joffrey, nor that her dire wolf wounded him.  It gives me a little bit of vicious glee to see him sniveling.

I really, really hate Joffrey.  I've seen what happens to him in the HBO show, which, yes, ruins my enjoyment of the series, and I simply can't wait for him to meet his fate in the books.  Perhaps, it's mean of me to be so vindictive, but I hate Joffrey.  I feel no sympathy for him.

Oh, and how can I ever forget Daenerys Targaryen or Tyrion Lannister?

Tyrion is probably the only Lannister I like, being both witty and intelligent and, more than most people, sympathetic.  He's clearly underestimated by his peers, but I have my suspicions it doesn't matter because, as a reader, I know there's more to him than meets the eye.

And then there's Daenerys:  she's amazing.  She's spent her entire life under her brother's thumb, enduring his whims and his temper; now, she's growing up and she's learning to take on the world on her own - or, at the very least, her brother.  I'm excited to see what kind of character she will make in the future, to see the imprint she will leave on Westeros.

No comments:

Post a Comment