"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Aquaman: The Trench (Volume 1)

DC Comics
Aquaman:  The Trench (Volume 1)
Geoff Johns
Ivan Reis
Joe Prado
2012

The Summary
"The only thing more powerful than the sea...is the man who rules it.

"In the waters that cover the vast majority of the Earth, Aquaman reigns supreme.  Yet on the surface world--a world he and the deadly beauty Mera battle to protect--the king of the sea is out of his element.  Humanity dismisses and disrespects him, just as they do the ocean he rules

"They may not like him.  But they need him.

"For Aquaman is not the only power beneath the waves.  A terrifying new threat has emerged from the abyss miles below the surface.  There, no light reaches, and only hunger and hate can survive.

"The trench has opened, spewing forth horrors.  Now Aquaman must make a choice that will put the survival of one species--our species--against another, or the whole world will be dragged into its gaping maw...

"Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis--the superstar creative team behind Green Lantern:  Secret Origin and Blackest Night--plunge you headfirst into the darkest waters in Aquaman:  The Trench (collecting issues #1-6) as they reunite for a modern take on one of DC Universe's most powerful heroes!"

The Good
Aquaman is frequently disregarded as a foolish superhero or completely discounted in the DC Universe, much like Adam West's 1960s Batman; sometimes, he's even regarded as the punchline of a joke (think Big Bang Theory).  He's not the most popular superhero, and even I will admit that he's not one of my favorites.  However, in Aquaman:  The Trench, Aquaman's reputation is finally redeemed--and I am so excited.

I've always had a specific picture of Aquaman in my mind:  Aquaman of the Justice League series that aired in 2001.  I was introduced to the gruff, brooding king of the deep and, being an impressionable youth, I instantly respected him for his uncanny strength, his ability to manipulate undersea life, and his absolute loyalty to the people of Atlantis.  I could also appreciate the fact he was a total badass.

I mean, how could I not like the guy?  He cut off his own hand to save his son, and then he shakes it off like it's nothing.  Of course I thought he was awesome.  (That's kind of a given.)  And after reading The Trench, I feel like I've reaffirmed my place in the Aquaman fandom.

Honestly, it's refreshing to see Aquaman in a new light.  I love the humor in his story and, more importantly, I love the amazing character designs.  Artistically speaking, both Arthur (honestly, I don't think I knew his real name before I read this volume) and Mera are beautifully designed.  I liked the detail and the color, the vibrancy of their characters; moreover, I loved the way they interacted as characters with one another and the rest of the world.

Aquaman has an emotional depth and intricacy I didn't expect.  Arthur is tugged at by his urge to protect mankind and his duty as the king of the sea, by his father's humanity and his mother's kingdom.  It's an interesting dynamic that adds a layer of complexity to his character and, more importantly, his story.  He wants to preserve humanity, but he doesn't wish to destroy in the process; he wants to be human, but he knows he isn't.

It's fantastic to see how his story plays out.

Overall, I think Aquaman is one of my favorite superhero comics of the year.  It's right up there with Spider-Gwen, The Long Halloween, Hush, and Daredevil.  I can't wait to hunt down volume two and discover the fate of Atlantis.

The Bad
No complaints.

I mean, I found the pace to be a little quicker than I would like.  It seemed like the story was in a hurry to get somewhere, and I would have liked a little more time to dwell on Mera and Aquaman's background.  However, it isn't a deal breaker and it's only a slight blemish on a story that's fantastic overall.

The Ugly
Blood.  Gore.  Violence.

What do you expect when terrifying creatures creep out of the deepest trenches of the ocean?  They're not looking to host a picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment