"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, July 7, 2016

George

Scholastic Press
George
Alex Gino
2015

The Summary
"When people look at George, they think they see a boy.  But she knows she's not a boy.  She knows she's a girl.

"George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever.  Then her teacher announces that their class play is going to be Charlotte's Web.  George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte.  But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part...because she's a boy.

"With the help of her best friend, Kelly, George comes up with a plan.  Not just so she can be Charlotte--but so everyone can know who she is, once and for all."

The Good
I read George as part of my Read Harder Challenge of 2016 and I found I really enjoyed reading Alex Gino's novel.  More than I thought I would, admittedly.  It's a sweet little story about George, a boy who would rather be a girl, and his struggle to find acceptance when he reveals to his family--and the rest of his school--the truth about his gender identity.

George is actually a novel for younger readers, so I think Gino's novel reflects the audience age; however, I think it's accessible to a wide variety of readers.  I'll admit, I was a little hesitant to read Gino's novel, because I had my own preconceived notions with which to contend, as well as other doubts that occasionally plagued me in considering this novel.  Given the debate in the media over which bathrooms transgender individuals should and shouldn't use, I really didn't want to read a book that was full of ugly prejudices or a novel that would dwell upon hurtful things.

I was afraid to read a depressing novel.

Luckily, I didn't.  George is surprisingly upbeat, and I found it was rather fun to follow his journey from George to Charlotte, how he managed to fulfill the slogan on the back cover:  "Be Who You Are."  It has a positive message, and it's appealing because it doesn't get bogged down by hateful language; rather, it focuses on George's journey and her success in embracing her own identity.

One of the things I noticed about this book was how George, who did not describe or identify himself as a boy, is consistently referenced with feminine pronouns.  I thought it was a nice touch, because it seemed to make an impact, seemed to impart the importance of a person who is transgender to identify with the gender they choose.  It's an intriguing and eye-opening concept that, I thought, adequately conveyed some of the struggles the George encounters.

Overall, I thought it was a wonderful book that illustrates the struggles of a transgender girl.

The Bad
Although I think George is accessible to readers of all ages (and genders), it's a novel that's likely to appeal to a younger audience.  The language, tone, and story reflect the age of the reader and the age of George.  While I know that may not be appealing to all readers, I didn't find it to be much of a deterrent when I jumped into the story.

Honestly, I couldn't put it down once I picked it up.

The Ugly
Bullying.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for poor George and all the ridicule, derision, and cruelty he had to endure from a couple of his classmates.  It was heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment