"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Bonus: Some Like It Scot

23723771
St. Martin's Paperbacks
Some Like It Scot
Suzanne Enoch
2015

The Summary
"Can a class of wills lead to a love for all time?

"Nineteenth century, Scotland:

"When a mad lass in trousers shoots at him, Munro 'Bear' MacLawry isn't sure what impresses him more--the girl's sure aim or her irresistibly tempting curves.  Catriona MacColl has fled to the Highlands with her half-sister to escape an unwanted wedding, and wants no part of him, nor any man.  But he can't abandon the flame-haired, sharp-tongued wildcat now that he's discovered her--not when she fits so perfectly in his arms..."

"Munro has more than earned his nickname--he's a well-muscled, well-favored mountain of a man with an engaging bad-boy grin and a string of well-satisfied lasses behind him.  Bringing Catriona food, blankets, candles, everything she needs to survive a winter in an abandoned abbey, Munro is an unexpected gift in her reckless bid for freedom--and an unexpected complication.  Clan MacDonald has plans for her, and they don't include her falling for a MacLawry.  But this man makes her feel like a woman--and he may be her one chance to live a life about which she's only dared dream..."

The Good
Oh, my gosh.  This novel.

This is not usually my cup of tea.  Between the scantily clad couple on the cover draped in plaid and the annoying reproduction of a Scottish accent, Some Like It Scot isn't exactly the type of novel I'd ever have pictured reading.  And yet it somehow found its way into my reading queue for the simple fact that I couldn't stop laughing over the title.

Yes, I picked up this book for the title alone.  It's a bit of a bad pun, but I have a weakness for bad puns.  It's why I'm half tempted by the Mad, Bad, and Dangerous in Plaid that precedes this novel; it's also why Sarah MacLean's "Scandal and Scoundrel" series has been calling to me (The Rogue Not Taken, A Scot in the Dark, The Day of the Duchess).

Apparently, I like bad and/or corny titles.  I just can't seem to help myself.

However, unluckily for Ms. Enoch's novel, the title was just about the only endearing thing about this novel.  I liked Catriona MacColl for her wildcat ways, for her indomitable will and sharp tongued retorts, for her ability to survive in the darkest corners of the Highlands...with or without the help of anyone else.  Otherwise, she's not so great and Some Like It Scot sort of fall into that category where my feelings border indifference and apathy.

The Bad
Altogether, Some Like It Scot doesn't exactly rank high on my list.  I didn't care for the accents (I mean, I can't really tell if they're realistic or not as I don't exactly hear Scottish accents on a daily basis); I didn't care for the relationship building; I didn't care for the characters, or their attitudes; I didn't have any particular feelings for this book.

I finished it, but it felt more like a completing a chore than enjoying a novel.  I liked some parts of it and, yes, I adored the title for some inexplicable reason, but I just couldn't fully sink into the story or enjoy it.  It's too contrived, maybe?

It seems to follow a set pattern.  Even if I could appreciate Catriona's unique qualities, even if I thought Munro was darkly scintillating, I just didn't feel very strongly about either one of them or their relationship.  Like I said, it seems to follow the tried and true patterns of other authors--and it just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Overall, it's not a book I'd really recommend.

Unless you like gratuitous, explicit love affairs.  If that's what you're looking for, then I'd highly recommend it.

The Ugly
I don't get to see the Scottish Highlands for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment