"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fables: Storybook Love (Volume 3)

Vertigo
Fables:  Storybook Love (Volume 3)
Bill Willingham
Mark Buckingham
Lan Medina
James Jean
2004

The Summary
"A fairy tale ending?

"Not likely.

"In the Fables' world, there isn't a lot of happily-ever-after to go around.  As refugees from the lands of make-believe, the Fables have been driven from their storybook realms and forced to blend in with our gritty, mundane reality.

"But that doesn't mean they don't have any room for romance--or the pain, betrayal and jealous rage that go along with it.  In fact, love may be blooming between two of the most hard-bitten, no-nonsense Fables around.  But are they destined for happiness--or a quick and untimely death?"

The Good
Truthfully, I was curious to see how this story would develop.

Well, okay, I'll admit I was mostly curious to see what was going on between Bigby and Snow White.  They have a curious relationship: part romantic, part professional, yet incredibly complicated.  It's interesting to witness the way they react together, the way they protect one another when faced with deadly enemies--and it's interesting to see how they, eventually, manage to form a relationship.

More or less.

Like I said, it's very complicated.

The Bad
I read Fables:  Storybook Love, but I can't help but feel I started to lose some interest in the story.  I know the series continues for a grand total of 22 volumes, and I don't think I'll muddle my way through the rest of the story.  It's complex and dark and, truthfully, it's just not what I'm looking for right now.

The Ugly
It's hard to kill the Big Bad Wolf, but not for lack of trying.

Poor Bigby.  I know that has to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment