"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Monday, May 15, 2017

American Street

30256109
Balzer + Bray
American Street
Ibi Zoboi
2017

The Summary
"On the corner of American Street and Joy Road, Fabiola Toussaint though she would finally find une belle vie - a good life.

"But after they leave Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Fabiola's mother is detained by U.S. immigration, leaving Fabiola to navigate her loud American cousins, Chantal, Donna, and Princess; the grittiness of Detroit's west side; a new school; and a surprising romance, all her own.

"Just as she finds her footing in this strange new world, a dangerous proposition presents itself, and Fabiola soon realizes that freedom comes at a cost.  Trapped at the crossroads of an impossible choice, will she pay the price for the American dream?

"In her stunning debut, Pushcart-nominated author Ibi Zoboi draws on her own experience as a young Haitian immigrant, infusing this lyrical exploration of America with magical realism and Vodou culture.  Unflinching yet filled with joy, American Street is an evocative and powerful coming-of-age story."

The Good
I read American Street as part of my Read Harder Challenge, and I can't say I regret my decision.  American Street is a provocative, thoughtful novel that portrays both immigrant experiences and, in some cases, daily life in urban areas.  It's beautifully written, well-paced, and fascinating; it's a book that makes you think, makes you feel.

I loved the hints of magical realism seeded throughout the story.  Fabiola is a very spiritual person.  Her beliefs are strong, and her faith in the ilwas of Vodou is even stronger--and, as time goes on, she begins to spot the ilwas work in her daily life.  I found this added a layer of mystery, a thin veil of magic that enriches her story.

Granted, you don't really discover if Bad Leg is really Papa Legba or just some junkie off the street, like Fabiola's cousins claim, but it's that uncertainty that imbues a certain strength to Fabiola's belief and offers uncommon insight into the landscape of Vodou.  It's magical, yet it's firmly grounded in reality as to relate to readers, to connect on a deeply personal level.

The Bad
Personally, this book made me miss being where I am.  I mean, I couldn't stand the cold, gray landscape Fabiola describes.  It felt cruel, sterile and cold.  It made me want to go outside and climb into a tree to really appreciate the cool, green shade.

The Ugly
Fabiola endures so much for a girl her age.  She survives the earthquake that destroyed Port-au-Prince in 2010; she is forced to travel to Detroit alone, because her mother is detained by customs; she must acclimate to a new school, a new culture--and no one, not even her aunt and cousins, seem willing to help her.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this book.

This book does not pull punches.  I'm not even joking.  It's violent, it's hurtful, it's bloody, it's dark, it's tragic--and it really doesn't get any better.  Fabiola is thrust into a new world, moving from her impoverished community in Haiti to a violent neighborhood in Detroit.  She's confronted with some very harsh realities that will, ultimately, break her heart.

I realize this book actually shows some of Zoboi's experiences (if you read the author's note, you'll see just how autobiographical Fabiola's story really is); in fact, it might encapsulate the reality of American life in impoverished urban areas.  However, I did not like the violence or the bloodshed or the drugs or the hard truths that American Street makes you confront.

I mean, for some people, American Street may very well be a portrayal of real life.  I may not have had to deal with many of the things Fabiola encountered--drugs, alcohol, gang violence, prescription abuse--but I know they aren't uncommon experiences, even in more rural regions where I live.  So reading American Street is an uncomfortable wake up call, it's a slap in the face because you can't look away from the glimpse of reality it presents.

I felt divided while I was reading this book, because I both loved and hated it.  It inspired a lot of emotions, not all of them good, but it also made me think and it made me feel and it compelled me to read on through Fabiola's story even when I felt my interest waning--or my heart breaking.

It's a very good book, but know you're getting into a world of heartache before you pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment