"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Little Golden Book

17190361
Golden Books
Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Little Golden Book
Diane Muldrow
2013

The Summary
"Little Golden Books:  not just for children anymore!

"One day, Diane Muldrow, a longtime editor of the iconic Little Golden Books, realized that there is hardly a real-life situation these whimsical books don't address.  In this age of debt, depression, and diabetes, can grown-ups benefit from a Little Golden guide to life?  Yes, we can!

"Muldrow's humorous yet practical tips for getting the most out of life--Don't forget to enjoy your wedding!  Be a hugger!  Sweatpants are bad for morale!--are paired with delightful images from the best-loved children's books of all time.

"Sure to conjure memories and smiles, this book is a perfect gift for anyone who cherishes the sturdy little books with the shiny cardboard covers and gold-foil spines."

The Good
This book was cute, if forgettable.  Personally, I think I liked the pictures the best, which pulled from all the classic Little Golden Books I read as a child with my parents.  I mean, I'd forgotten about The Saggy Baggy ElephantTootle, Nurse Nancy, and Animal Friends.  This book is really just a nostalgic trip through childhood to all the little books you've read as a child and completely forgotten over the years.

It's cute, and it's certainly worth perusing through to recognize some of the characters and book you enjoyed as a child.

The Bad
It's short, and it's not really what I expected.  It's good, it's cute, but it's one of those books at which I shrug a shoulder and simply place it back on the shelf.  It's not really eye-opening or life-changing, just a quick, nostalgic story with inspirational content.

The Ugly
Not a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment