"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Kingdom Come

4469788
DC Comics
Kingdom Come
Mark Waid
Alex Ross
Todd Klein
1996

The Summary
"Winner of five Eisner and Harvey Awards, Kingdom Come is the best-selling graphic novel from acclaimed writer Mark Waid and superstar painter Alex Ross.

"Set in the not so distant future, the DC Universe is spinning inexorably out of control.  The new generation of heroes has lost their moral compass, becoming just as reckless and violent as the villains they fight.  The previous regime of heroes--the Justice League--returns under the most dire of circumstances, setting up a battle of the old guard against these uncompromising protectors in a battle that will define what heroism truly is."

The Good
First off, Kingdom Come is perhaps the most beautiful and breathtakingly intricate comic I have ever read.  I didn't realize, until my brother pointed it out to me, that Alex Ross actually created individual oil paintings for each of the panels.  So all that detail you see there on each page?  That's from one man taking his time, painting each shadow and line on a canvas.

There's beauty to be found in that much detail.  There's a realism and depth that's absolutely magnificent, that puts Kingdom Come into a class of its own.

Second, it's also one of the more confusing.  Despite it's deep philosophical reach, I have to say I loved it.  I was a bit confused by Batman's motivations and, honestly, I still don't think I understand what happened to the superheroes--like, why did the Justice League suddenly split up?  Why are there so many heroes and what happened that drove some of them to the brink of insanity?  Why did things have to go such extremes?  And what, exactly, is the Spectre doing--and where does Norman McCay fit into the grand scheme of things?

I'm sure the answers are buried in the story somewhere and, I think, I understand the basic premise of the story, but, regardless, I enjoyed it overall.  The story sheds light on aging superheroes, putting faces on a new generation of superhumans and creates a fascinating world that's hanging by a thread--a complex, precarious world that pits humanity against the superheroes that both save and endanger them.

Honestly, Kingdom Come is difficult to describe.  It's one of those you need to read to see and believe.

The Bad
Like I said, Kingdom Come is a bit confusing.  It's mostly the philosophical musings of the characters that throws me for a loop and the thinly veiled religious undertones that proved more puzzling than anything.  Otherwise, no complaints.

The Ugly
I haven't known much about Captain Marvel--well, I'm more familiar with him as Shazam, his newer DC moniker--but I feel truly bad for the guy.  I mean, here's a superhero who suddenly fell into the clutches of Lex Luthor I don't want to give anything away, but, just know, his story may break your heart.  I mean, he isn't a villain, not like  you might think.  His history and his fate are, truthfully, shattering.

No comments:

Post a Comment