"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Read Harder Challenge 2017

rhc_cover_pinterest
Image courtesy of BookRiot
It's that time of year.  Cold weather, chilly mornings and wintery nights--and a whole new book list to tackle.  Once again, I'll be dipping into the Read Harder Challenge.  This year, there are new and challenging tasks to complete, including:
  • Read a book about books
  • Read a book that is set more than 5000 from your location.
  • Read a nonfiction book about technology.
  • Read a classic by an author of color.
  • Read a book in which a character of color goes on a spiritual journey.
  • Read an LGBTQ+ romance.
  • Read a book published by a micropress.
  • Read a collection of poetry in translation on a them other than love.

A few of these challenges will be difficult.  I mean, I don't know that I've ever read a book by a micropress or I've never consciously sought out one.  Likewise, I don't think I've thought about a book in which a character of color goes on a spiritual journey or actively looked for an LGBTQ+ romance.

I've already found suggestions.  Thanks to my coworkers (and a few hints on Goodreads), I've managed to find a potential book for just about all 24 challenges and I've already gotten a start on my reading.  (By the way, I highly recommend Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur by Brandon Montclare and Amy Reeder for reading an all-ages comic.  It's very good.)

And with that, I'm off to hunt down new books!

Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment