"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Once Touched

21844452
Ballantine Books
Once Touched
Laura Moore
2015

The Summary
"The youngest of the three Knowles siblings, Quinn has in her blood the love of the land and its beautiful creatures.  Raising enough money to build an animal sanctuary is a dream Quinn lives every day--while fending off her family's well-intentioned matchmaking schemes.  Though harboring secret fears about intimacy, Quinn soon realizes she cannot fight her growing attraction to a man who has suddenly entered her life.

"Scarred by his months in Afghanistan and the violence he witnessed there through his camera lens, photojournalist Ethan Saunders throws himself into hard ranching work as a prescription for healing.  But falling for Quinn has given him the one thing he thought he'd lost forever:  hope.  Ethan discovers that Quinn, like the innocent animals she rescues, is shy, and afraid of entrusting her heart to a man.  Passion soon awakens Ethan's strength, and his tender seduction may be just what Quinn needs to believe in herself--and in his love."

The Good
Truthfully, I liked reading Once Touched.  Granted, the cover is a little--well, incredibly--provocative, but it's a good, solid story that details a complex romantic relationship and examines the complicated nuances of intimacy.  Some parts feel a little unrealistic, using familiar expectations about sex and relationships that don't feel quite right; however, I think it does a fair job of detailing the intricacy of romance, as well as the unexpected highs and lows all couples have.

Plus, I liked Quinn.  She's a great character:  bright, thoughtful, kind, optimistic, and rather shy.  She's almost too good if we're being honest.  But I grew to like her, especially as she opened up her world to Ethan and shared with him her love of animals.

I mean, a character can be a total troll--like a literal troll--but, if they like animals, if they are kind to animals, I will immediately warm to them.  And Quinn was no exception.  She's willing to sacrifice anything to protect the critters she rescues, and she's always so good with them, including Tucker, her skittish rescue horse.  Honestly, I probably just liked her for that fact alone.

I'm an animal lover.  We tend to base (most of) our impressions on how well people treat their pets.

And Ethan wasn't too bad either.  He's a bit surly, but, considering he just went through some of the most horrific months of his life and recently staggered out of a hospital after surviving an IED, he probably has reason enough to be a bit prickly.  However, as he and Quinn grow closer, it's really very sweet to see the ways in which he shows Quinn how he loves her.

It's the little things.  Like recognizing how much she loves animals and respecting her affection; or putting thought into a gift she'll want and use, one that reflects her personal interests and passions; or bringing her breakfast in bed.  But, most importantly, respecting when she needs time and when she needs a hug or a kiss or just, in general, someone to lean on.  I have to admit, I felt my heart melting a time or two.

Overall, I enjoyed Laura Moore's novel.  It wrapped me up in a wonderful world of warm characters and loving families and unconditional love.  It was a delightful little romance novel, and I was glad I took the chance to read it...even if the cover made me feel a bit awkward.

The Bad
Once Touched is actually the third book in the series.  Although it does well to stand alone, I wish I'd had a little bit more background information on the Knowles siblings and their family ranch.  It would have, I think, cleared up a little bit of confusion about some of the characters and their relationships.

The Ugly
Relationships are hard work.

And, sometimes, heartbreak is inevitable.  This time, I seriously had some doubts they would mend their fragmented relationship.  I mean, it's almost inevitable in romance novels that they break up at least once, but, oddly enough, I was legitimately worried about them.  I've never read Moore and, while I doubted she would just break her readers' collective hearts like that, I felt a hint of uncertainty.

You never know how a book is going to end, and I kind of liked how Moore kept me on my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment