"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Archie: The New Riverdale (Volume 1)

25852959
Archie Comic Publications, Inc.
Archie:  The New Riverdale (Volume 1)
Mark Waid
Fiona Staples
Annie Wu
Veronica Fish
2016

The Summary
"Welcome to the new Riverdale!  America's Favorite Teenager, Archie Andrews, is reborn in the pages of this must-have graphic novel collecting the first six issues of the comic book series that everyone is talking about.

"Meet Riverdale High teen Archie, his oddball, food-loving best friend Jughead, girl-next-door Betty and well-to-do snob Veronica Lodge as they embark on a modern reimagining of the Archie world.  It's all here:  the love triangle, friendship, humor, charm and lots of fun--but with a decidedly modern twist.

"Brought to you by some of the masters of the comic book genre, including writer Mark Waid and the all-star lineup of artists:  Fiona Staples, Annie Wu, and Veronica Fish, the first volume of Archie presents readers with a new take on the beloved Archie Comics concepts while retaining the best elements of the company's 75 years of history."

The Good
I have to admit, I have never been a fan of Archie.  Despite recommendations from friends and hand-me-down comics, I just couldn't seem to enjoy Archie all that much.  It seemed so old-fashioned and well, boring.  Besides which, I didn't care for the ridiculous love triangle between Betty, Veronica and Archie (is he really such a catch?) and I didn't like the art.  It was cartoony, but not in the way I liked.

However, I have to admit that I enjoyed reading Archie:  The New Riverdale.  Maybe, it's because Mark Waid is involved--and I have quickly become a fan of his work with Kingdom Come and, of course, Daredevil--or, maybe, it's because I liked the art and the modernized content.  I'm not sure which I enjoyed more; regardless, I have a lot more respect for Archie and his Riverdale crew than I did previously.

I especially liked Betty and Jughead.  Betty is a tomboy who knows how to fix cards, and she's Archie's sweetheart for nigh on forever; Jughead is a serious foodie (he's especially serious about his hamburgers), and he's Archie's best friend.  In Archie, they seemed a little more fleshed out and a little more detailed.

For instance, I would never have thought about Betty struggling with her own self-image.

She's smart, sweet, and confident, and she's an old hand at rebuilding engines; however, she sometimes struggles to feel like a "girl"--with makeup, dresses, heels.  You know, the whole nine yards--and she worries she isn't pretty enough.  Like most girls, she battles with how her peers perceive her, how she sees herself, and how she really looks.  Her issues are grounded in real life.  She feels real, which I appreciated.

This latest incarnation of Archie is both humorous and fun, paying homage to the original series while creating a brand new world with intricate relationships and infinite new complexities.  Overall, it's entertaining and humorous and lots of fun.  I'm beyond pleased to know that Archie and his pals are in Mark Waid's capable hands.

The Bad
I honestly have no complaints.  I liked just about everything in Archie and, truthfully, I will probably follow up with subsequent volumes.

The Ugly
I still don't like love triangles.  I have never liked love triangles, but I think that Waid and his team do a great job tastefully incorporating the complex relationships involved in Riverdale.  Yes, there's still a love triangle; yes, Veronica and Betty are still competing for Archie's heart; yes, Archie is still caught between them.

But it's not as silly as I once imagined.

Betty and Veronica are fully fleshed out characters, not the caricatures I'd always imagined them; moreover, Archie is more of a lovable goofball, rather than the obnoxiously oblivious dope as I always characterized him.  Betty is struggling with her feelings for Archie, while simultaneously battling with her dislike of Veronica...and her willingness to be a good person.

They're conflicted.  Things are complicated.  And it's messy.

But that's just the way real life goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment