"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Monday, December 19, 2016

Batman: Year One

59980
DC Comics
Batman:  Year One
Frank Miller
David Mazzucchelli
Richmond Lewis
1987

The Summary
"In 1986, Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli produced this groundbreaking reinterpretation of the origin of Batman--who he is and how he came to be.

"Written shortly after The Dark Knight Returns, Miller's dystopian fable of Batman's final days, Year One set the stage for a new vision of a legendary character.

"This edition includes the complete graphic novel, a new introduction by writer Frank Miller and a new illustrated afterword by artist David Mazzucchelli.  Completing this collection are over 40 pages of never-before-seen developmental material such as character and layout sketches, sample script papers, sketches, and more that provide a glimpse into the making of this contemporary classic."

The Good
I really enjoyed Batman:  Year One.  Unlike The Dark Knight Returns which feels grim and gritty...and just counter intuitive to the Batman I know and love, Year One feels so new and fresh and yet familiar at the same time.  It has the same hard edges, the same dark heart you expect of Gotham, but I loved seeing the origin of Batman.

I liked seeing how Batman learned and changed, how he grew into the cowl and made mistakes; I also liked learning about Gordon, seeing him change from the squeaky clean officer to the hard-boiled lieutenant with a family and a city to protect.  As I read, I felt like I was growing up with these characters and I felt like I was getting to know the real Batman--the real Gotham.

I loved it.

Plus, I loved the detail in the art.  Frank Miller makes an excellent story, but David Mazzuchelli really brings it to life.  Year One is dark and frightening, it conveys the sinister aura of Gotham without compromising the beauty of the artwork.  Like Long Halloween and Dark Victory, there's something beautiful about the shadows and the dark part that help to set the tone for the story and give it depth.

I feel like Batman:  The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, both of which I adored, take their cues from Frank Miller's original story.  It has the same dark ambiance, but young Bruce is all grown up and Gordon had grown a little grayer and new characters have arrived on the scene.  Year One feels like a completion of the the story.  It helps to flesh out Batman's story, give new depth to Gordon and Gotham--and I couldn't be more pleased.

Year One is an excellent addition to any Batman fan's collection.

The Bad
I didn't always like the narration.  It was illuminating, and it was fascinating to be able to see in Gordon's and Batman's minds; however, I didn't always care for it.  I don't know why.  It wasn't bad, exactly, but it wasn't exactly an endearing quality in Year One.

Otherwise, no complaints.

The Ugly
Batman is dark and grim.  That doesn't change.

So expect the usual murder, mayhem and corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment