"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Bonus: Once Upon a Winter's Eve

Once Upon a Winter's Eve (spindle cove) by [Dare, Tessa]
Samhain Publishing Ltd.
Once Upon a Winter's Eve
Tessa Dare
2011

The Summary
"Violet Winterbottom is a quiet girl.  She speaks six languages, but seldom raises her voice.  She endured bitter heartbreak in perfect silence.  The gentlemen aren't beating down her door.

"Until the night of the Spindle Cove Christmas ball, when a mysterious stranger crashes into the ballroom and collapses at Violet's feet.  His coarse attire and near-criminal good looks would put any sensible young lady on her guard.  He's wet, chilled, bleeding, and speaking in an unfamiliar tongue.

"Only Violet understands him.  And she knows he's not what he seems.

"She has one night to draw forth the secrets of this dangerously handsome rogue.  Is he a smuggler?  A fugitive?  An enemy spy?  She needs answers by sunrise, but her captive would rather seduce than confess.  To learn his secrets, Violet must reveal hers--and open herself to adventure, passion, and the unthinkable...love."

The Good
Violet is a rather clever heroine.  Intelligent, unexpectedly witty if painfully shy, she's full of surprises.  Granted, it seems like a stretch for her to go from the timid wallflower in the first chapter to an outgoing, vivacious young woman primed for a wonderous London season, but I actually enjoyed following her growth as a character.

I liked her, quite more than I anticipated.

The Bad
Another Spindle Cove story!

Not that that's a bad thing.  I confess, I'm kind of committed to the series now.  I'm curious to see what becomes of all the Spindle Cove ladies I've had the pleasure to meet and, after enjoying A Lady by Midnight and When a Scot Ties the Knot, I found I was rather eager to read more.  Once Upon a Winter's Eve, however, feels a little different.

Different in that it just seems to fall flat.

Oh, I liked Violet, but I didn't care much for the "Mysterious Stranger."  You find out his identity later, but, even then, I still wasn't impressed.  Mr. Dangerously Attractive is not what he seems (obviously) and, despite his rugged good looks and charm, he strikes me as being terribly foolish--I like the term "addled"--or incredibly unreliable.  He irritated me, like more than I expected and I found myself hoping Violet would simply send him packing.

Overall, I was frustrated by Once Upon a Winter's Eve rather than enchanted.  The story felt like utter hogwash, ridiculous and contrived; the dynamic between the characters felt all wrong, weak and flimsy, like paper; and the construction of their relationship seemed tenuous, at best.  I might have enjoyed it more if I'd felt more invested in the characters, or if I'd had more of a story to go on; however, as it stands, I didn't care much for this latest novella.

The Ugly
Smugglers.

No comments:

Post a Comment