"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Friday, December 16, 2016

Now That It's You

Image result for now that it's you
Montlake Romance
Now That It's You
Tawna Fenske
2016

The Summary
"Meg wanted closure.  She found her ex's brother instead.

"Talented chef Meg Delaney hasn't spoken to her cheating ex-fiance, Matt Midland, for two years.  Ditching him at the altar after blurting out 'I can't' instead of 'I do' would sour any relationship.  But now, just as Meg is finally ready to bury the hatchet, she learns closure is permanently off the menu.  And the kicker?  Matt's brother, Kyle, is back in her life, stirring up feelings that are equal parts guilt and lust.

"Meg was the best thing that never happened to Kyle.  He couldn't make a move on his brother's girlfriend--even if Matt didn't value her nearly enough.  The situation is even more complicated now that Meg's bestselling aphrodisiac cookbook has spawned a legal battle with the Midlands.  Maybe he should stay away.  But love, like family, plays by its own rules.  And the one woman he shouldn't want might be the only one who's perfect for him."

The Good
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard with a book, and then felt my heart breaking in my chest within the same hour.  Now That It's You led me on a roller coaster ride of emotions, moving from resentment to grief to love and laughter and back to grief.  And it kept me in stitches for most of the time with it's incredible humor.

I absolutely adored Tawna Fenske's novel.

In some ways, it reminded me of Happiness for Beginners.  For instance, you have a heroine who's looking to turn over a new leaf, a romantic interest who's bound to surprise you (plus, he's rather adorable), and a wild, wacky adventure (that may or may not involve "magical" marshmallows).  It has many of the same qualities that I loved about Katherine Center's novel:  humor, endearing characters, hints of romance, complex romantic and familial relationships, and transformative journeys.

I loved everything about Now That It's You.  I enjoyed the humor, the sweetness, and even the awkward moments.  However, I was probably hooked very early on after an incident with a group of LARPers (Live Action Role-Players) in the local park.  Personally, I think that was my favorite part:  a trio of friends dressed in fantasy gear suddenly pulling Kyle and Meg into an unexpected game involving an invisible dragon named Fallopian and marshmallows-turned-thunderbolts.

It was great.  I don't think I could have stopped laughing if I'd tried.

The Bad
No complaints.

The Ugly
A few moments in this novel broke my heart.  Like well and truly shattered it, and I couldn't help feeling almost as distraught as Meg did.

No comments:

Post a Comment