"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Unfinished, Six

905887
Bantam
I didn't get very far with Them Bones by Carolyn Haines.  I picked it up as an ebook and started reading it on my tablet, but I couldn't stay with the story.  It intrigued me, I won't deny, but I couldn't seem to invest myself in the plot or even enjoy the characters.  For some reason, it just didn't seem right for me and, honestly, I didn't feel like trying to force myself to fall for a book that obviously wasn't for me.

I don't think I even managed to make it past the first chapter, so I don't have much to say about it.

-

I am an avid reader of Jana DeLeon.  I've read almost everything written in the Miss Fortune Mystery series (which includes Louisiana Longshot, Lethal Bayou Beauty, Swamp Sniper, Swamp Team 3, Gator Bait, Soldiers of Fortune, and Hurricane Force) and a handful of other novels; however, I think I'm finished with Fortune Redding.  At least, for the time being.

29915419
Jana DeLeon
I tried to read Fortune Hunter, but after binge reading the Miss Fortune Mystery series, I can't say I was excited to return.  Fortune Hunter, like it's predecessors, is good, mindless fun.  It's a thrill-a-minute joy ride that takes you across the bayous of Louisiana at breakneck speed and it doesn't stop.  It's hilarious, it's fun, and it's packed with interesting--I'm being diplomatic here--characters.

Honestly, I had fun with Louisiana Longshot and I really enjoyed Gator Bait (it's probably my favorite), but I just can't take more of the sheer absurdity.  It's fun and it's funny, but, after a certain point, I just need a break from the insanity of Gertie, Ida Belle, and danger-prone Fortune Redding.

I might come back to the series one day.  For now, I just need some distance--and, maybe, an infusion of something more series.  Like Tolkien.  Or Tolstoy.

-

9591398
Feiwel & Friends
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente was an interesting book.  September, a very ordinary girl living in Omaha, Nebraska, finds herself transported to a mythical fairy world and throw into a not-so-ordinary adventure.  As I read the book jacket, it struck me as a fascinating story, especially when I heard about the villainous Marquess and the book-loving Wyvern and an array of strange, delightful creatures and characters, like the Green Wind.  I was uncommonly excited to read Valente's novel.

And then, suddenly, I wasn't.

I don't know if it just wasn't the right time for me to read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making or if I was simply distracted by all the other novels I had in my TBR.  Regardless, I couldn't disappear into the world of Fairy, like September does, and I didn't find myself enchanted by the wondrous things she saw.  I couldn't stay committed to the story, so I simply put it aside to read another day.

-

I started Perfume:  The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind with every intention of finishing it; however, it turned into a bit of a nonstarter, like Them Bones.  I didn't get very deep into Perfume, before I put it aside, but, honestly, I don't know why I did.  I mean, yes, it's a bit grisly at the beginning (and I don't imagine it gets any better), but, for some reason, I thought it had the most beautiful language.

That is, the most beautiful language considering it's about the makings of a homicidal maniac.

343
Penguin
If I hadn't had such a massive TBR (and another book on the back burner that I really wanted to finish) and if I hadn't had a due date, I might have spent a little more time getting to know Perfume.  Something about it enchanted me, something about the language and the dismal streets of eighteenth century Paris that had me hooked; however, I made the mistake of putting it down...and I didn't pick it back up.

It's a bit like Game of Thrones in that respect.  It's wonderfully detailed, it's fascinating, it's well-written, but I just can't seem to keep my attention focused on more than one book at a time.  One always ends up suffering.  In this case, it was Perfume.

I will note that I have every intention of finding Süskind's novel once more, after I finish reading I Am Malala and Julie and Julia and My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry...among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment