"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened
and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you
and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse,
and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
Ernest Hemingway

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Superman: Birthright

8172
DC Comics
Superman:  Birthright
Mark Waid
Leinil Francis Yu
Gerry Alanguilan
2003

The Summary
"The whole world knows that Superman fights for truth and justice...but why does he?  What drives a farmboy from Kansas to divide his life between posing as a mild-mannered reporter and embarking on a career as a super-hero?

"Superman:  Birthright tells the exciting origin of the Man of Steel, incorporating his vast and colorful legend into a brand-new epic tale...a battle to save both the legacy of Krypton and the future of Metropolis!"

The Good
When I see Mark Waid listed as one of the writers on a comic, I almost automatically pick it up.  I instinctively know his work will be great--and, truthfully, Superman:  Birthright doesn't disappoint.

Although I found it a bit surreal to dive into Superman's--ahem, Clark Kent's--past, I was fascinated by the story.  Lex Luthor and Clark go way back--and I mean way back--which I found surprising, and I find it intriguing that Superman wasn't widely accepted as a hero.  There's a lot of distrust toward him, especially after Lex gets his hands on pieces of Kryptonian technology.

I loved that Waid and company added so many layers to Clark and his character.  Superman has been labeled a Boy Scout for much of his career, so I loved seeing a different side to him.  I liked seeing him as a person, not as a caricature.  He could be hurt.  Not physically, of course, but emotionally.  He has been shaped by his experiences and yet he still chooses to do good, he chooses to be good.

I liked that about him.

Moreover, I liked his new powers.  Oh, he has all the same ones that everyone knows:  he can run faster than a speeding bullet, he can fly, he's indestructible, he can leap tall buildings in a single bound.  He's the same superhero everyone knows and loves, but he has the added benefit of being able to see life.  I don't just mean recognize it and/or treasure it; I mean, he can literally see the life force in living creatures...and he can see it leak away when they die.

Superman's vow to protect people takes on a whole new meaning when you realize he's able to detect the exact moment someone or something dies.  He sees a void where something bright and beautiful had once been, and he can't bear the idea of seeing it happen when he knows he can do something about it.  It gives his promises a lot more meaning, in my opinion, and it makes more sense why he can push himself to protect people even when they don't believe in him, even when the easier course would be just to give up.

I enjoyed Superman:  Birthright.  I can honestly say it's my favorite Superman comic.  Don't get me wrong, I still love Red Son which has, heretofore, held the top place in my heart when it comes to Superman; however, for a comic book that's actually canon--i.e. not an alternate reality--I have found the absolute best in Birthright.  I can't wait to read more.

The Bad
No complaints.  Overall, it's a fascinating exploration of Superman's origins and his struggle to become a superhero in the face of Lex Luthor's treachery.

The Ugly
The usual: blood, gore, violence.  It's to be expected in most comic books where the supervillain has absolutely no qualms about crushing (literally) the little people he perceives as beneath him.  However, I was a bit surprised by the feelings of sympathy I had for Lex.

I would say he's not as bad as you think he is, but he actually is as bad as you think he is.  Worse, even.  However, Superman:  Birthright does humanize him.  It makes him more understandable, it makes him a more sympathetic character, because, as much as I hate to admit it, I did feel bad for the guy.  No one deserves to be bullied like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment